Sunday, July 13, 2008

As the World Turns

A lot of things can happen in just a short time. I last posted in mid-May, and life here is so different now that mid-May seems like last year. So I'll start slow and talk about all the parts I have pictures of.

In gardening news, we planted a rose.


We planted a bunch of other stuff too, but I'm sticking with the things of which I have pics. This post will be long enough without listing every plant in the yard.
The bamboo looks great now that it is starting to fill in. We bought a little stone pagoda to sit with the bamboo.

The whole bamboo area is slated to become a large pond with sitting area. We got the hole pretty much excavated, then started the difficult task of leveling and shaping, etc. We also bought the skimmer, pump, waterfall, and filtration system.

But before any of that could go it, it rained for a month.

And every time we get the hole pumped out and about dry, it rains some more. The goal now is to have the pond up and running by the end of the year.

In May the garden was starting to grow. We added paths between the beds and put in a drip irrigation system.



Now the garden is heavy with fruit. We've been harvesting: beans, tomatoes, corn, okra, herbs.

The sunflowers are so neat. We planted three different kinds. I really like this red one. We have one sunflower that is 7-8 foot tall and has flowers the size of dinner plates.



The front yard garden is a bit neglected but looks good just the same.

******

In travel news: not a lot of travel, but we've done lots of things. Including a day at the zoo. I took too many pictures, and here are a few of my favs.

Look at this loafer just standing around.



The flamingos were lazier than the bear and more vain. The stood around sleeping or preening.


The sea lions put on a show. At least someone is earning their dinner. They taught us important lessons about recycling by demonstrating how to retrieve plastic bottles from the water and toss them into the can.


The land lions must be friends with the bear and the flamingos; they also just stood around.


******

We went to a concert: the True Colors Tour. It's a gay pride thing.

The venue:

It was hosted by Carson Kressley. He changed outfits like 5 times.

Here's Andy Bell of Erasure joined by Cyndi Lauper!

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Margret Cho!

This tour is Cyndi's baby. So she came out to talk about equality and voting or something. I'm sure the website says what all that's about.

The B-52's !! Tony loves the B52's. They were a lot of fun. I also tried out my camera's video function for the first time during the B52's set. If I can figure out how to add it to this page, maybe I'll post it some time.

After the B52's was Cyndi Lauper. She was amazing! But by that time, it was dark and I didn't get one good picture. They ended the show with all the performers singing True Colors. *tears*

******

So back to the life changing part. I got a job! A real job, not that private-practice-working-out-of-the-house shit. Wheee! I'm a staff attorney at the Tulsa Law Office of Legal Aid Services Of Okalhoma. A salary, health insurance, an office with a window that doesn't look out on to the street in front of my house. And we are located in a really cool building: the Gillette-Tyrell Building also called the Pythian Building. It's on the National Register of Historic Places. My office is on the second floor, fifth window from the right.

Tulsa is known for it's art deco buildings. So I'm so happy to be in one. The lobby is all tile work. Floor, walls, ceiling.

My office. Not a great picture.

Another pic from that first week. It came with furniture. This is how it looked when I moved it. Luckily, I'm allowed to paint the walls and move in/out any furniture I want. Of course, it didn't take me long to start redecorating. It has a way to go, but when it's done, I'm sure to post more.

******

July 4, 2008, was our second anniversary. We went out that morning and bought rings. We are now unlawfully wed.

******

Not much to report on the knitting front. Tony is working on a rug from Mason-Dixon. I finished a BSJ. I'm sure we'll update a little sooner next time. yeah right.

Later,

Eric

11 comments:

Emma said...

Ooh, congrats on the rings. They look pretty.

Marianne said...

You two are such a couple of sweeties! Congrats on that unlawfully wed thing :^)
Your yard is looking great, I'm terribly envious of your veggies, actually, and the sunny areas you have to grow them in!
That pond is huge!
Heh... so... how much rain did we get last night? sheesh! ok. I'll shut up.

Knit and fall back in it said...

Your yard looks beautiful. Congrats on the new job and the nuptials.

Alwen said...

Sunflowers - I love how they smell! I'm thankful the breeders haven't managed to do away with that spicy sweet sunflower smell.

Anonymous said...

I haven't thought about sunflowers in a good long while. My mother used to grow some for us when we were kids.

I noticed the rings at knit night--congrats!

Sanders said...

Congratulations! and Congratulations!

Hobbygåsa said...

Congrats on your wedding! Unlawfully or not, it is the truly yours forever part that matters.And congrats with the job, my what a nice building to work in. And your garden sure looks nice, wish I had one like that. But at least this year I have some Lavender in mine, last year was nothing but gras lol. Hope you have a really nice summer!

Kyle William said...

glad to see you post and catch up with you guys... congrats on the new job! that's awesome!

I hope you're OK with all the rains and ickiness that the hurricane/tropical storm dumped on you... while I don't want a hurricane to blow through Los Angeles, I wouldn't object to a day or three of gentle rain... aah; rain... :( I hardly remember what it's like!

J.P. said...

Awwwwww.. such great things happening for you two! Congrats!

Eikon said...

Wow that was a lengthy post. I want to see August garden pictures though. Pretty Please?

kaoticorchid said...

Wow-sounds like you've been busy! Congrats on the new job and the anniversary. :)